Ring is a well-known brand that manufactures cameras and security cameras. On the other hand, there have been a lot of people wondering whether or not the solar panel that charges the cams actually works.
Keep reading if you want to know how to tell if the solar panel on your Ring is functioning properly, as we will be going through many of the troubleshooting steps in order to answer that question.
- Your device is not charging
If the Ring Solar Panel is already connected to the device, and the panel is already exposed to sunlight, but the device is still not charging, there may be a straightforward explanation for the problem.
Ring states that the device won’t start charging until the percentage of its battery that has been depleted falls below 90 percent. This is due to the fact that an overcharged lithium-ion battery has a lifecycle that is significantly shorter than normal.
In order to prevent the battery from being overcharged, the built-in panel regulator will not allow the device to be charged until the current level of the battery falls below 90 percent.
- Overcharging your device
When a battery is supplied with an excessive amount of electrical current, this process is referred to as “overcharging.” A 6-volt battery, for instance, is capable of storing more than 7 volts of electricity. On the other hand, once it reaches 6 volts, it is at its maximum capacity and ready to use.
If the battery were to continue to be charged, the heat generated by the additional electricity would destroy the electrolyte chemistry within the battery, rendering either the device or the battery ineffective.
If the process of overcharging is allowed to continue past the point at which the electrolytes begin to burn, the temperature inside the battery could reach such extremes that it either bursts into flames or explodes. That is how dangerous overcharging can be.
In most cases, a device will come equipped with a solar regulator or charge regulator that is built right in. This regulator cuts off the flow of electricity whenever the voltage in the battery gets close to reaching its maximum capacity.
Because the charge from the solar panel will not begin until the battery is less than 90 percent charged, we know that the Ring Solar Panel has an internal regulator. This is because the charge will not begin until the battery is below 90 percent charged.
In the event that the device does not come with a solar regulator built in, you are able to attach one.
- The App displays “not connected”
When the battery on your device is dead, the Ring app will display “Not Connected” as one of the possible causes. Also, let us assume that there is shading, which means that the solar panel is not exposed to sunlight for a sufficient amount of time for the electrolyte process to become ineffective (not making electricity).
In that scenario, the Ring app will display a message indicating that it is not connected.
– In order to verify this, first check to see if your solar panel is facing the right direction to receive sunlight. If not, there is a good chance that it is not producing solar energy.
– If the solar panel is exposed to sunlight, check each connection to ensure that the solar panel and the camera have a strong connection to one another.
– Wait approximately twenty minutes and then check the app again if the solar panel is exposed to sunlight. If it still shows as not connected, it is possible that the solar panel was shaded at an earlier time and is only now beginning to heat up.
- The device would not charge and the power remains at less than 90%
When it comes to solar-powered electronic devices, the solar panel or battery is not typically the source of the issue. On the contrary, there is an issue with the connection between the panel and the battery.
You have a few options open to you, which is good news in the event that the solar panel is functioning normally but the battery is not charging.
– Remove the plug that connects the solar panel to the battery, then reconnect it after it has been reinstalled.
– Examine the condition of the cord that carries the electrical current from the solar panels to the battery. Sometimes the coating will crack, which will result in the wires becoming damaged. If that is the case, then there is no way for electricity to reach the battery. You are going to need to change out the cord.
- Your battery is not charging
According to Ring, the solar panel is not intended to be used in place of charging the battery at any point. Instead, the features of its design are geared toward elongating the intervals between charges.
It takes the solar panel approximately five hours to fully charge a ring battery, and this process requires between four and five hours of exposure to direct sunlight. Another issue that you might run into is that of being too active.
The battery will discharge significantly quicker the more the doorbell rings. The Ring Battery has a very narrow operating window between fully charged and completely depleted. The solar panel only provides supplemental power; it does not either replace or recharge the battery.
Examine how often the doorbell is used if you discover that the battery is about to run out. There are three sizes available for the Ring Solar Panel that you can purchase, and it’s possible that you’ll need the larger one.
- Your solar panel could not keep up with the demand
It is possible that you are going through a seasonal shift if the solar panel was functioning normally but is now unable to keep up with the usage of the battery.
– The end of spring, all throughout summer, and the beginning of fall are the times of year with the most sunlight. The late fall, winter, and early spring are the times of the year with the least amount of daylight. It is possible that the solar panel is not getting enough direct sunlight because the seasons have changed in your region. This could be the cause of the problem.
The Solar Panel for the Ring needs to be exposed directly to sunlight. As a result, the panels will not function properly when exposed to natural light.
Stormy weather and days with a lot of cloud cover are two other common factors that can contribute to poor lighting.
If the doorbell or door camera are not functioning, it is possible that the solar panel is not receiving enough direct sunlight to function properly.
- Is your solar panel compatible with your device?
There are some Ring Solar Panels that are incompatible with certain Ring Devices.
If your solar panel is functioning but you are unable to charge your device, it is possible that the Ring Panel you are using is not compatible with your device.
The Ring Stickup Cam utilized a solar panel that was distinct from those of the Ring Doorbell Cam and Ring Spotlight Cam. There is an adapter available for purchase from Ring, and it can be located on their website.
If you are unable to fix the issue by following the troubleshooting steps, Ring provides a number of different ways to contact customer support.